Keto Chocolate – the ultimate chocolate bliss with all the pros and not a single con!
We all love a good bar of Chocolate, don’t we? Sadly, most of the time this decadent treat is off our menu and plates when we are watching our weight or blood sugar levels. But what if we there is a chocolate that we can still enjoy and not worry about weight or sugar levels?
First let’s get our facts right – let’s not punish the chocolate (cacao) for the bad things that the added sugars did! Cacao or pure chocolate (without sugar/additives) is a nutrient powerhouse! Most of the store bought chocolates, except for a very few, are loaded with sugar, sugar-like substances and other unhealthy additives. As a result, they can cause harm in the long run and build an unhealthy obsession with sugar. But, eating dark chocolate or pure cacao/ cocoa is considered highly beneficial.
What are the benefits of Cocoa/ Cacao/ Dark Chocolate?
- Antioxidants : Cocoa and dark chocolate have a wide variety of powerful antioxidants. In fact, they have way more than most other foods.
- Improves memory and reduces stress : Various studies have proven that dark chocolate and cacao have the ability to stimulate your brain wave frequency (gamma frequency) leading to improved memory. The gamma frequency is the highest frequency and “associated with the highest level for cognitive processing, for memory, [and] recall,”
- Magnesium – Dark chocolate (75% or higher cacao) is a decent source of Magnesium (Mg). This is the 3rd most abundant mineral in our body and highly essential for nerve functioning and reducing muscle cramps (think period cramps – Ouch!) A 28g of dark chocolate provides 16% of RDA of Mg.
- May aid in the management of Blood pressure and lowering LDL levels.
The Keto Chocolate is going to be a Dark Chocolate. We will be eliminating the sugar and milk products in our recipe.
You can read more here: Proven Benefits of Dark Chocolate.
How do we make the Keto Chocolate at home?
The only thing that is harmful in chocolate is the sugar. Now, if this component alone is removed or replaced with a healthier version that doesn’t affect our weight or diabetes, don’t you think having the Keto Dark Chocolate as part of our Low Carb diet will make it a tasty experience as well as a healthy one?
The traditional chocolate making process is a very tedious one. While one can definitely do a bean-to-bar process at home, our Keto Chocolate recipe, is more of an instant Dark Chocolate recipe or a quick-fix Dark Chocolate version.
This requires just 3 main ingredients: Cacao Butter (see image below), good quality Cocoa/ Cacao powder and Erythritol. A few other ingredients like vanilla essence, salt and nuts are also included to enhance the flavour and taste. Once you have all these ingredients in place, making the Keto Chocolate is as simple as 1-2-3-4: Melt, Mix, Cool and Enjoy! 😋
Living the Low Carb life doesn’t mean one has to miss out on the decadent treats that other enjoy. All we need to do is just carefully swap the ingredients and Voila – we have a healthier and tastier version that can be made at home!
All this chocolate talk has made me crave for some. So, while I go enjoy my afternoon with a few bites 🍫, you take a look at the Keto Chocolate recipe and have fun making it at home!
Final notes before I go:
- Keep Refrigerated: After you make the chocolate make sure that it is always refrigerated. Unlike store bought chocolates that have emulsifiers and made from scratch, the home-made version will always melt when kept outside at room temperature.
- Sweetener : Always use powdered Erythritol so that it dissolves a bit more easily. You can also add a few drops of Stevia liquid to increase sweetness.
- Erythritol alternative: Inulin is an alternate sweetener that can also substitute erythritol. It is a closer to sugar in sweetness and has zero impact on blood sugar levels.
If you loved it or have any suggestions, make sure to send those thoughts my way 📩
- Chocolate mould or Ice Cube trays
- Heat proof glass bowl
- 100 g Cacao Butter
- 200 g Cocoa Powder
- 150 g Erythritol powdered
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 pinch Pink salt (optional)
- 15 g Almonds Roasted and Sliced
Melting Cocoa Butter
- Cocoa Butter needs to be melted using double boiler method. It cannot be directly heated.
- Take a thick bottom vessel and half fill it with water. Place this on the stove and turn on the flame.
- Place a thick bottomed glass bowl (heat-proof) over the vessel.
- Add the Cocoa butter to the glass bowl. The butter will melt from the heat released by the steam.
Making the Keto Chocolate
- As soon as all the butter is melted, take it off the flame.
- Mix in the powdered Erythritol, Cocoa powder, vanilla essence and salt.
- Mix well to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Take a greased plate or round cake tin and pour the chocolate into it. Spread and allow it to cool.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before attempting to slice.
- Slice and serve cold.