Chicken Parmigiana is a highly popular Italian-American dish. This dish is traditionally made with breaded and fried chicken cutlet, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. However, the traditional version consists of breading the chicken with bread crumbs , which is not keto-friendly and has a high carb content.
The recipe below is a modern take on the classic Chicken Parmigiana with a low carb twist.
One of the problematic ingredients is bread. In order to bring down the carb levels, one would just have to substitute the regular bread crumbs with some almond or coconut flour. While the traditional dish favours Parmesan Cheese, it is usually tough to procure it in India and also turns out to be quite expensive. You can substitute it with some mozzarella or cheddar as shown here. However, the taste will slightly differ from the original version using Parmesan.
This dish is both delightful and delicious. It’s hard to believe that it’s also keto! With high-quality protein and healthy fat sources, this recipe is sure to please you without making you sacrifice your diet.
Keto Chicken Parmigiana
- 1 Flat bottomed Frying pan
- 1 no. Chicken Breast ~125-150 g
- 20 g Almond Flour Coarsely ground in mixie
- 10 g Coconut Flour
- 10 g Butter
- 30 g Mozzarella Cheese Swap with any available cheese like Parmesan, cheddar, etc.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 no Egg
- 1/2 tsp Oregano or Italian seasoning
- 3-4 Basil Leaves or Parsley/ Coriander shredded
- 2 cloves Garlic cloves large
- 200 g Tomato
- Salt and Pepper as required
- Slice the chicken breast to flatten it like a butterfly & lightly pound it with the back of a knife of blunt object, to level it.
- Marinate it with salt & pepper and set it aside until required.
- Blanch the tomatoes, remove skin and seeds & mince it to a pulp.
- Break the egg into a bowl, whisk it and set aside. Finely chop garlic.
- Mix the flours together and set aside
- Warm a flat bottom pan and pour the olive oil in it.
- Sauté the garlic and tomatoes until it turns pulpy and oil starts to seep out. Season it with salt and pepper. Add half the herb mix and set aside.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the egg and flour mix to get a nice thick coating.
- In the same pan, melt the butter on low/medium heat and place the chicken breast on it.
- Cook till golden and flip to the other side. Spread the tomato sauce evenly and top with cheese and herbs.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook until the cheese melts. Ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Once a nice crust is formed on the bottom, plate it and serve immediately.
- If you have Parmesan Cheese, you can swap with Mozzarella. I only had Mozzarella on hand.
- You can either choose only almond flour or only coconut flour.
- The macros will slightly vary depending on the weight of the chicken breast.